Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Pumpkin Madness and Paying it Forward

Halloween will be the first big holiday for my shop.  I can't say that I consciously prepared for Halloween, but I must have had the holiday somewhere in the back of my mind as I happily share with you the pumpkin themed items I have made and listed for sale.

Jack-o-lantern studs. Pumpkin Necklace. Pumpkin Princess Necklace. Cutie Pie Invisible Clip Earrings.
What has been consciously on my mind, however, has been the idea of "paying it forward."  We receive so much in life from others, including from strangers.  Sometimes all it takes is a kind smile, a gentle word, or a pat on the shoulder to give us that much needed boost of energy, reminder to smile, or encouragement to go on.  Sure, there are definitely those in the world who take take and take, but I would like to believe that human nature is more so inclined toward the spirit of giving.

Giving conscientiously is such a simple choice.  Often it is the decisions that we make on the spur of the moment that grow into seemingly fantastical realization.  Our one decision can ignite a passion that kickstarts us and sets us onto the right path toward fulfillment of our goal.  One powerful decision can lay the foundation for building something truly great.

I heard an interesting story about my uncle over the weekend.  He viewed his career as a geotechnical engineer as a way to pay it forward.  It seems like such a strange idea, but it makes sense.  His job was to ensure the safety of the foundation so that the project could come into realization, be it a parking structure, a building, a subway line, or even the first ever public toilet in Hong Kong.  He was proud of his achievements, even if they weren't always recognized.

I was told that many years ago, when my cousins were very young, he took them to the basement of one of the skyscrapers he had worked on.  My cousins asked him, "What are we looking at?"  To which he replied, "Look at this beautiful foundation that I have built."  I can only imagine the looks of puzzlement on the faces of his young children as my uncle probably broke out into his classic laugh and knowing smile.  To him, the buildings, the subway line, the parking structures, and the public toilet were all ways that he could impact the lives of hundreds of thousands of people over the years.

In his small way, through his tireless giving of hours of thought, the heavy responsibility he carried for the supervision of his projects, and the time he spent checking and rechecking numbers and calculations, he hoped to build something that would lay the foundation for others to build an amazing final product that others could see and admire.  He did not seek admiration, praise, or even understanding of his contribution.  His joy came from realizing that he had contributed towards something that would continue to pay it forward to friends, family, and even strangers.

Uncle Stephen's Second Avenue Subway Line.
Join me in taking a moment to remind yourself just how little it takes to give a little.

XoXo,

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment