Friday, September 8, 2017

A Little Each Day Goes a Long Way

I often have to remind myself that although there is a time and place for thinking, doing accomplishes more.  If we never get up the courage to try, nothing will ever happen.  Inaction guarantees failure, but action provides the possibility of success.  This lesson continues to challenge me, especially in the world of instantaneous results we have grown so accustomed to in our high-tech society today.  Hope and optimism are great, but progress takes actual effort.
Sunshine and butterflies.  This little figurine is from quite a while back.
Without trial and error, there is no growth, although sometimes it is hard to see success until we take the time to look back at where we have been.  Lately, I've spent a lot of time looking back at some of my older sculptures and pieces, and where I was once satisfied with what I saw then, I can look back at these older pieces and see definite improvements in my precision and skill.  A little over a week ago was the first time that I had ever made a series of dolls all at once, and oddly enough, even by the 6th or 7th doll I saw drastic improvement and ultimately experimented with and created new techniques and skills.
A OOAK Circus Inspired Megumi Doll. She's got a super cute updo in the back.
However, as I have never been the type of person who works on a single idea or project at time, and because I truly enjoy trying whatever comes to mind, in between taking breaks from making multi-colored doll hair (which is a lot of work when working with alternating strands of color that are placed one by one), I decided to try making miniature cupcakes as well.  The skills that I gained doll making transferred into creating teeny tiny cupcakes, and vice versa.  The next challenge I have set for myself is to become faster without sacrificing any quality.
Feeling goofy with these Spooktacular cupcakes.
Here's to patience, guidance, and perseverance.

XoXo,

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment